Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Iowa-Wisconsin mumps outbreak

I've been unconcerned about this region's mumps outbreak. I know that when I was little, I had the measles/mumps/reubella vaccination, but I don't know if I was actually immunized against mumps because I can remember either mumps or ruebella having been crossed off on the little sheet. Still, I've continued merrily on my way, unconcerned about mumps even if it turns out that I'm not immunized. Until I read this paragraph in a story about mumps:

Mumps is spread by coughing and sneezing. The most common symptoms are fever, headache and swollen salivary glands under the jaw. It can lead to more severe problems, such as hearing loss, meningitis and swollen testicles, which can lead to infertility. It does not respond to antibiotics.

Italics mine. I'm paying attention now. Nobody told me about that problem. I'll take two meningitis, please, just keep the elephantitis of the beanbag away, thank you very much.

No comments: