Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Leinie's Sunset Wheat-The Tasting

I finally got my hands on Leinie's Sunset Wheat. I'm not much of a beer snob, so I'm afraid that I can't give a high falutin' description of the taste, but I'll do my best to pass along my findings.

First off, Leinenkugel's recommends that you pour the beer straight down the center of the glass to produce a full head. I recommend this as well. You'll want to smell this beer before your first taste. The aroma of the beer is very citrus-like. The beer is made with coriander, and I have no idea what coriander tastes like normally, but it seems to lend a citrus overtone to the beer, which is also very light. One thing I can assure everyone is that this is nothing like Berry Weiss, but it isn't anything like a normal Leinie's offering, either. If you are an Original/Light/Northwoods type person, this isn't the beer for you. If you are a straight Miller/Bud person, again, probably not for you. But if you enjoy the various craft beers out their today, I think you will like Sunset Wheat. Leinie's is definitely make a play for beer drinkers outside their typical circle of customers. Sunset Wheat will not be a big seller at the country bars in Wisconsin, but it should find a healthy market amongst the craft beer crowd.

No comments: