Saturday, June 17, 2006

Lack of humor over humor quite humorous

The HuffPo is always good for a post that is so absurd that it can make you laugh. Today, Russell Shaw must be lacking in causes to be agitated about, because he takes on Animal Planet's Planet's Funniest Videos in one of the goofier posts I've read over there.

Formerly known as "America's Funniest Animals," the show features a steady diet of oft-befuddled domestic and wild creatures doing "cute" things.

But this definition of "cute" I cannot often abide.

When I see these stunts, I don't think, or see, "cute." For they are not stunts. These are animals who are trying to do the best they can in unfamiliar surroundings. And when they don't execute well- or execute too well - we laugh at them.


I hope Shaw has never had a chuckle over America's Funniest Home Videos, or had a laugh when a friend unexpectedly took a shot in the family jewels. Something tells me he has, but I suspect that Shaw does not understand that a laugh is not a vindictive thing for the vast majority of people.

No comments: