Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Wear the helmet, Big Ben

Pittsburgh Steeler quarterback and Super Bowl Champion Ben Roethlisberger, as everyone knows, was in a motorcycle accident today and messed himself up pretty good. I'm not going to get into the mandatory helmet issue because, frankly, I don't care if you are an idiot who chooses not to wear a helmet while on a motorcycle. Consider it my nod to survival of the fittest.

I came this close to never having been born. My Dad had a motorcycle in his youthful days, after he met Mom but before I was a consideration. One day he was riding on a city street when a car pulled out in front of him. He hit the car, was vaulted over the hood of it, and as family legend goes, slid for 100 feet, much of it on his head. The friction wore through his helmet. He spent some time in the hospital but ended up not much worse for wear. Without the helmet, though, he is pretty sure he would have died. Because of that, I am in favor of people wearing helmets when riding their motorcycles. If you choose not to, though, it is you own damn dumb decision.

Despite my harsh words, I am glad that Big Ben came through okay. I don't wish harm on anybody who chooses not to wear a helmet when on a motorcycle. If harm comes, though, it is awfully tough for me to feel very sorry for you. One has to deal with the consequences of one's own decisions. I'll wish you all the luck in the world in your recovery if you live, but I sure as hell ain't going to feel sorry for you.

Post Script
Thanks for wearing a helmet, Dad.

No comments: