Friday, October 13, 2006

The Departed

I'm not going to review The Departed. All I'm going to say is this: It is a really good, really violent movie...but...that ending pisses me off and it pissed off the lovely Mrs. Jib. The entire car ride home we tried to comprehend what the hell happened. We couldn't. So I hopped online to see what there was to learn about the ending. Here is what I found. About 80% of the people didn't get it either, but rather than admit that they didn't get it, they called it brilliant without elaborating. The other 20% didn't like the ending. They didn't get it either, but at least they were honest enough to say it and then rip on the movie for it. Finally I thought I hit the jackpot-a Scorsese interview where he was asked about the ending. After babbling on about nothing for two paragraphs, he calls it a moral ground zero. Yes, a moral ground zero. Folks, go see this movie, but go knowing that Scorsese doesn't even know what to make of his own damn ending.

Post Script
I read this post to the lovely Mrs. Jib. She said it was harsh and asked if I couldn't just say the ending was brilliant and leave it at that. So there you have it: Brilliant!

Post post script
I can't stop dropping f-bombs since the movie ended.

No comments: