Saturday, October 21, 2006

My squirrels have found a purpose

If you are a regular reader here, then you know that I hate my neighborhood tree rats. This morning I have softened my stance on that issue. They seem to have found a balance with the area birds. The squirrels own the bird feeder, but they throw everything they don't want on the ground, which the birds are perfectly happy eating. The squirrels have chosen to allow the birds this privilege-except one species, a species of bird that I hate even more than the squirrels-the blue jays. I've noticed this morning that the squirrels don't allow blue jays anywhere near them, and when they approach they chase the blue jays away. Since blue jays are fiercely territorial, going so far as to destroy the eggs of other birds, I think I'm going to show the local squirrels a little more tolerance as long as they continue to chase away the blue jays.

No comments: