Sunday, April 03, 2005

Finally, the Jib has come back to Wisconsin

I'm back home, and I couldn't be more pleased. Minneapolis and New York are fine places to visit, but they aren't home. While I could see the Minneapolis area being home for me at some point, New York gave me an all new respect for Chicago and Milwaukee. What a dump. The New York you see on TV isn't the real New York. The streets are absolutely filthy. As I left my house on Friday, a neighbor chatted me up. He said that he used to drive truck in New York, so I should do him a favor. If I saw one clean street, I should photograph it for him. Needless to say, I don't have a photo for him.

New York has its charms. Namely, it is the biggest, richest, baddest city in America. I found that impressive for all of about 2 minutes. As large cities go, I found it to be largely a pain in the ass beyond that. Before I dozed off on Saturday night, I read this article from last weekend's Sunday Washington Post, which is highly complimentary of Milwaukee. I began to think on the topic of big cities. While New York is where the country's power brokers congregate, the city itself is a dump. Milwaukee is not exactly one of the country's power centers, but the city is slowly but surely seeing a resurgence. With good leadership, always an iffy proposition in Milwaukee, the city really could quiety become a little gem of the upper Midwest. And that's the bottom line, because Jiblog said so.

(For those of you with a passing knowledge of wrestling will notice that I ripped off a couple of WWE taglines in honor of tonight's Wrestlemania, which I am not watching.)

No comments: