Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Small town vs. big city

I live in small town, and I grew up in a small town. I enjoy the friendliness and coziness of small towns. Until very recently, however, I never realized what I had to sacrifice to live in a small town-convenience and much of my time.

Since I became a homeowner about 7 months ago, I've discovered that things go wrong at inopportune times. Putting in a sink? Better do it during the day, otherwise you'll need something that you can only get at one local store, which is already closed. So then you blow an hour and a half going to the "big town" to find a store that's still open. Need specialized parts for a project? Better buy 'em as soon as you see them. Otherwise, when you go to buy them at the hardware store 5 minutes before you want to start the project, you're liable to find out that the hardware store has closed for the day to move to a new location. The project is suddenly that deadly hour and a half behind. And don't even think twice about going out to eat after 9 pm, unless you are in the mood for bar nuts.

So if you live in the big city, and you are thinking of moving out to a peaceful small town, remember this: It ain't all that peaceful when you are swearing under your breath as you drive back and forth to the big city 5 evenings a week for the dumbest things.

No comments: