Tuesday, April 05, 2005

Tax gas, but leave my beer the hell alone

The Journal Sentinel is running with a story that is sympathetic to State Representative Terese Berceau's "user fee" on beer, saying we should "put that glass down long enough to listen to her arguments." I'll tell you something. With taxes as high as they are in this state, reasonably priced beer is one of the reasonably priced joys we have left. One could say Madison and its taxes have driven some of us to Milwaukee's Best. If Berceau wants to increase the beer tax, that's fine by me. Then cut government spending by 10% and return it to us, the tax payers. I'm fine with bringing our beer tax in line with other states as long as our tax burden is brought into line, too, and I'm sure we'd all be happy to spend our money on healthier endeavors. Until then, leave our beer the hell alone. If she doesn't, she's going to have a lot of ornery Wisconsinites to deal with.

Update
Heh, my first trackback. Thanks, Sandi.

No comments: