Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Thoughts on "unpatriotic"

“Don’t call me unpatriotic!”

 

Ugh.  I’ve seen that in so many forms from anti-war types over the past 3 years.  One thing that I’ve noticed is that in most cases, nobody called them unpatriotic.  Their response to thoughtful opposition to their point of view has more often spurned that response than someone actually calling them unpatriotic.  Is it a guilt thing?  Do they maybe feel a twinge of guilt somewhere deep inside because they know that they aren’t exactly helping the troops by opposing the war and ‘unpatriotic’ is how they feel?  Or is it just cliché to do it so everybody does?

 

One more thing.  I don’t toss that one, the unpatriotic claim, at war opponents.  But why the hell shouldn’t I be able to call you unpatriotic if that were my view of things?

No comments: