Thursday, February 03, 2005

Feminists, the Middle East needs you. Really, I'm serious.

I am not one who is above taking the occasional shot at feminists. I believe they served a very important role for women once upon a time in this country, but I believe their role has become more and more corrupted as feminism became a career. If feminists care to prove me wrong about this, then I have a challenge for you. Read this story and then tell me we shouldn't be doing whatever is in our power to spread freedom and republican or parliamentary democracy across that region.

For those of you who don't click links, let me introduce the story and give you a little flavor. It is the story of a Palestinian woman who got pregnant before she was married. Think that was tough on a woman in the 1950's Bible Belt? Try the Middle East. Their they kill the woman for the honor of her family.
Twenty-five years later I see these images again as if time has stopped. I was sitting on a rock, barefoot in a grey dress. I had lowered my head, unable to look at him; my forehead was on my knees. Then suddenly I was running and on fire and screaming. There were women, I remember, two of them, so I must have climbed over the garden wall and into the street. They beat at me, I suppose with their scarves. They dragged me to the village fountain; I felt the cold water running on me and I cried out with pain because it burnt me too. I heard women wailing over me. "The poor thing . . . The poor thing . . ." I was lying in a car. I felt the jolts of the road. I heard myself moan.
The author is alive because her brother in law botched the killing. The woman was then placed in a hospital where she was given no medical care. She was expected to die. If not for an aide worker who was able to smuggle this woman to Europe, she would have.

The above story is more than a little bit dated, but I just happened upon it today and was revolted by it. My father raised me to have great respect for women, and he instilled a strong defense of women mechanism deep inside me. This story is just one in a long line of stories about the atrocities Muslim men commit against Muslim women. Feminists should be falling over one another in defense of their Middle Eastern sisters, urging the liberalization of that region at all costs. I suspect if a Democrat were President right now, even a womanizing one, they would be. Sadly, their silence is deafening.

No comments: