Monday, February 07, 2005

Was the GoDaddy ad really a bad ad?

Depends on how you are defining "bad", I guess.

Here's why I ask. According to Ad Age, the general feel is that this ad created buzz, but in the long run is not going to work well for GoDaddy. Well, is my case unusual, then? I'm an individual who may be in the market for a domain soon. Prior to this commercial, I had no idea who GoDaddy was or what they did. Now they have carved a place in my brain and they actually have a chance to sell me on their service, which is what they are buying with that ad-the chance to sell me. They didn't have that chance before this commercial.

Tasteless? Perhaps. Effective? Maybe.

Sources for this post:
http://www.adage.com/news.cms?newsId=44265
http://www.bobparsons.com/

1 comment:

RPM said...

The ad was a poor satire first of all. Tasteless, depends on who you talk to. I would say yes, tasteless.

But like you said, you suddenly know of the company and they got you interested in their product.

I bought my domain last year from GoDaddy based on recommendation from a friend. It is pretty cool because you get 100 email forwarding and you can choose to set up any type of email ID you'd like and make it permanent. I would certainly recomment GoDaddy.