Sunday, September 18, 2005

Beware coaches who make students run...

...because they have sex with minors. Illogical, you say? You're right. In a story about a female gym teacher that had sexual contact with three underage boys, the Hammonton News includes this quote from a student on the girls soccer team:
Asked about her former coach, senior Samantha Candario said, "I liked her as a coach. She did make us run a lot."
That is an odd student quote to add to an article on a teacher accused of sexual assault. It is an innocent statement on its own, but in the context of the article, it reads more like this, though: "She was a good coach. But now that I think of it, she did make us run a lot. I should have known!" But even better is the student's follow up statement:
"I just don't think it was fair to the team."
Wow. The reporter on this story managed to find the most vapid and self absorbed girl on the soccer team to quote. Three teenage boys were taken advantage of by an adult woman, and she's concerned about her soccer team. It makes me wonder if the reporter intended for the girl to look like an ass, but it also makes me wonder why the editor didn't cut this quote that is inconsequential to the story.

And no, I can't give back the 30 seconds of your life that you spent on reading this post. You may exchange it for not reading a post of equal value, though.

No comments: