Friday, August 25, 2006

Vlogging

In the past six months or so, vlogging, the kind of dorky name for video blogging, has built up a head of steam. In fact, to some degree it is pulling a lot of buzz away from podcasts. I just can't get into it, though. I'm a fast reader, and when I read a blog I can get through it as quickly or as slowly as I want. When I listen to a podcast, I can choose to devote 100% of my attention to it or I can do something else while I listen to it. With a vlog, I'm a captive audience that has to dedicate X amount of time to watch it. Especially during busy times, a vlog is a real time commitment to make when I want to get through all of my regular news and opinion sources and podcasts in that limited time that I have. The good ones are worth it, no doubt, but for me they are the first thing that gets cut.

Having said that, there will be no Jibvlog anytime soon, even though the word Jibvlog makes me giggle. If you are lucky, I may one day convert the home video I made of myself as Timothy Treadwell and my cat as one of his bears. You may or may not find it funny, but hearing the lovely Mrs. Jib laughing/crying in the background as my cat freaks out is well worth the price of admission.

No comments: