Thursday, September 16, 2004

The 21 year old drinking age

Here's a topic I haven't thought since, well, I turned 21. I agree with Andrew Stuttaford's Mad about Madd post at The Corner. The 21 year old age limit is a bit silly in a day and age when the age of majority is 18. It used to be said that if you can die for your country, you should be able to vote. I've always thought that if you can die for your country, you sure as hell better have the right to drink a beer. Maybe it is just because I'm from Wisconsin, the land of beer, milk, and honey. Maybe it is because even my rather strict father softened on alcohol consumption after I turned 18. I just think it is a law which encourages as much irresponisble behavior as it tries to stem.

For the record, I'm on the opposite side of the debate as Stuttaford when it comes to pot, however.

No comments: