Friday, November 17, 2006

I loathe urban planning

I've long had the perception that urban planning is a very fad driven endeavor. I don't know enough about urban planning to say that with certainty, but I'm still pretty damn sure that is the case. Take this as an example...twice this week I've gotten lost driving around shopping centers built hap-hazardly on many small, curvy streets. Now I'm sure some urban planner can tell me why planned disorganization is theoretically a good idea, but I'm going to tell you why it is a bad idea in reality. I almost passed up on two restaurants and a bookstore this week that I knew were supposed to be in certain retail areas but I couldn't find them. If I were slightly less patient, those three businesses would not have my money tonight. I could go on and on about the topic of urban planning, but I'll save some of that for another day.

No comments: