Sunday, November 26, 2006

The truce is over

No, not this one, although it was DOA, anyway. No, my truce with the neighborhood squirrels is done for. This fall I begrudgingly gave them their space because they were scaring away the blue jays, a bird I truly detest. My motto was my enemy's enemy is my friend, which put our ornery squirrels and I in a strange alliance of mutal interest. That alliance fell apart this weekend.

The lovely Mrs. Jib and I had purchased a couple of strings of LED Christmas lights for our backyard. I had anticipated that LED lights would be hot, and we bought ours early. We put them up the day before Thanksgiving and we were pleased with how bright the pine cone shaped lights were. Then on Saturday night one of the strands did not turn on. I found that one of the dumb assed squirrels thought the lights were actually a pine cone or nut of some sort and it had chewed one of the lights off of its wire. Unfortunately, it did this during the day and not when the lights were on. We've searched 3 Walmarts, only to find that they were all sold out of this variety of light.

I have since done a little amateur electric work to get the string lit again, but I consider this a direct violation of the truce. The furry, chattering little rats are going to regret the day they let the idiot amongst them try to eat my Christmas lights.

No comments: