Thursday, November 16, 2006

Wii don't got no stinkin' Playstations

Okay, with people lining up again for the release of new video game systems, I have a story to relate. I used to work in retail. I cannot remember if I was a supervisor or an assistant manager at the time, but the release of Playstation 2 had the same kind of anticipation that Wii and Playstation 2 do now...and the same limited supply. In fact, we didn't have a single unit in our store opening morning. Our parent company had doled the supply it had to large market stores. I opened that morning and didn't expect many people, if any, but by 5:30 am a crowd had developed inside our foyer and also outside the front doors. We decided we would have a riot on our hands if we let them stand out there until the store opened at 8 am and then we told then that we didn't have any. So we told them. Some people looked like we had just killed their puppy with a spoon and some piano wire...it was a kind of deep sadness and yet complete disgust and hatred for us. Some people didn't believe us. Some got angry. Eventually we cleared them all out, but people just kept gathering in the foyer. It got to be fun to watch their faces light up as they thanked their lucky stars that there was no line at our store, only to then see their entire day ruined when we told them of our non-existent supply. Retail is a thankless profession, and I'll admit that I took a small amount of perverse pleasure in breaking their hearts knowing the hell they were going to put me through in that upcoming Christmas shopping season.

No comments: