Thursday, May 04, 2006

A note to the E.R. writers

Hi E.R. writers. You don't know me, but my wife and I are part of the reason you are making nice money from this gig. We've been long devoted viewers of E.R., and we rarely miss an episode. In tonight's episode, you decided to start out with the Africa story line. Sorry to say it, but we're sick of the Africa storyline. It no longer has major relevance to the main story. We turned the channel.

Now I know that you, the writers, have enjoyed interjecting your politics and world view into the show for a few years now. I think that is stupid, but hey, it hasn't hurt you too much yet. If you'd like to continue to make social statements via an E.R. that gets healthy ratings, I do recommend that the Africa storyline come to a conclusion. For a show that is getting long in the tooth, it is an unwanted distraction, and I suspect that we and others like us will be changing channels again if it looks like the Africa storyline may dominate and episode. Aging hit shows should avoid giving viewers a reason to change the channel because they just might find something fresher to watch in that time slot.

No comments: