Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Checking off the reading list

For the record, I am jealous of the lovely Mrs. Jib. Unencumbered by a blog, she easily knocks off 90 books a year. Thankfully she resorted to the library for her reading list several years back. Otherwise, we'd be building an addition this summer just for her books.

As for me, I tend to slog through. Travel is a huge reading aid for me. Time on an airplane and sleepless nights in a hotel are precious times for me to catch up on my reading. Over a recent stretch, I started a book in my pile, "1776" by David McCullough, and I bought and started another, "Crazies to the Left of Me, Wimps to the Right: How One Side Lost its Mind, and the Other Lost its Nerve," by Bernard Goldberg. This weekend I finished Goldberg's book (I recommend it for your apolitical friends), and soon I anticipate finishing McCullough. I have the utmost respect for bloggers who receive advance copies of books from publishers and actually read them; personally, I think they bluff their way through reviews rather than actually read them as I find carving out the time for just a few books difficult.

In anticipation of getting through "1776," I picked up "The Reagan Diaries." I was out of town the week before it came out. I mistakenly thought it came out that week and frantically searched through a mega-bookstore in search of it. But I have it now and it will be my next project. After that, I have every intention of finally cracking into a couple of books on Vietnam that Chris from Spottedhorse recommended to me. They've been sitting on my nightstand waiting to be read for a long damn time now. I look forward to reading them, but they are are going to be a daunting task given my inconsistent reading pattern.

No comments: