Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Gas & Wisconsin's minimum mark up law

I read an interesting article tonight on creative tactics taken by businesses in the face of high gas prices, but I'm not going to provide a link to it. I'm not going to provide the link because part of the article discussed a Wisconsin business that is giving discounts on gasoline to a certain other Wisconsin business that uses a lot of gas. I like the initiative that the business owner showed in securing the volume purchases of the other business, and I'd like to see more of that in Wisconsin. I was left wondering how this business owner is getting around Wisconsin's minimum mark up law, however. The article did not go into detail on whether he was still meeting the minimum mark up after the discount, and if he isn't, I have absolutely zero problem with that. Government has no place determining price floors, but you know that state Democrats are going to try to play the Wal-Mart card every time an attempt is made to repeal that law.

No comments: