Monday, August 22, 2005

Paul Harvey, the radio pop up ad

I've listened to Paul Harvey since I was a child. As a pre-teen, I even read my dad's copy of The Rest of the Story. I used to find his news segment to be a quaint throw back to the old days of radio, a time where it was common for the sponsorships to be read by the host. I don't think that way anymore. Now I view The Paul Harvey Show as a web page I want to read, but which overwhelms me with pop-ads for the Bose Wave Radio and Citracal and Thera-gesic.

I have a 7 minute drive from work to home, and during that period of my lunch break, I used to be able to listen to the beginning of Jeff Wagner's show on AM 620 WTMJ. If he had a topic which interested me, which was almost always, I turned the radio on at home and listened during lunch. Now I have Paul Harvey riding with me during that drive, and half his show is stealth commercials for crap products I don't want. I think I've only remembered to turn on Wagner at home once since Paul Harvey's show started airing on WTMJ. That's not a good lead in, WTMJ manglement.

No comments: