Thursday, December 30, 2004

Nick Coleman's lack of Professionialism

As those of you who tool about the blogosphere know, Time Magazine's Blog of the Year, Powerline, has had a long running feud with their local newspaper the Minneapolis Star-Tribune (which they refer to as the Strib). Being that I grew up on the Eau Claire Leader-Telegram, the Chippewa Herald, the Star-Trib, and the St. Paul Pioneer Press, I've watched with detached bemusement. I was always a Pioneer Press guy because their paper cost a quarter and they had better Wisconsin coverage, so I have no sympathies in this fight for the Star-Trib. Star-Trib columnist Nick Coleman decided to go after the guys at Powerline with this column this week, and it is one of the most unprofessional pieces I've ever seen from a columnist. I'm not going to add much commentary to this, as it seems much of the blogosphere is already buzzing about it, but if I edited or published the Star-Trib, I wouldn't be very happy about this. They had the chance to take the high road, and Coleman has dragged them into the gutter. The Star-Trib doesn't have a lot to gain in this fight, so it should have been one that they worked to avoid.

No comments: