Sunday, December 26, 2004

Tsunami kills over 13,000 and counting

I can't help but weigh in on the Asian earthquake and tsunami, even though I'm not sure I have anything new to add to the issue. The death toll is stunning, though. The current AP death toll sits at 13,390. That is more people than the populations of each of the three cities I've resided in during my life. That number is very likely to rise as more help arrives in the affected areas.

The Sidney Morning Herald reports that the death toll was exacerbated by the failure of affected countries to have monitoring and warning equipment, and that likely is true. This event provides us with a very distant reminder that nature rules the roost around here. As much as we like to think we can control it and affect it, our efforts have about as much affect as a spit wad shot at a freight train.


No comments: