Sunday, June 19, 2005

Firefly guilt mechanism

Damn you, fireflies, aka lightning bugs. I enjoy fireflies. They are a nice visual attraction on a dark night. They are still insects, though, which means they live at my leisure. I recently came home at dusk and saw that there was a rather sizeable bug on the door. Not wanting to let it in the house, I flicked it with my my finger and it fell to the ground. It was then the firefly murder guilt mechanism kicked in.

The firefly hit the ground and immediately glowed a very bright green. So I felt bad immediately. But then I watched as the bright green glow got dimmer and dimmer and dimmer until it was just a faint glow. It was like watching the life seep out of an insect I otherwise like. And I felt guilty for killing a bug. A bug!

No comments: