Thursday, June 02, 2005

Tougher for teens to find jobs?

Maybe in LA, but I still suspect the entrepreurial teen can find a way to make a buck. For instance, I felt a little bad when I told a neighborhood kid no when he asked me if he could mow my lawn for the summer. Just the same, I'd be willing to bet that he's making better money than some kids who are working retail. Also, I can't substantiate this, but my general sense is that kids are getting snobbier and snobbier about where they work, and that is also affecting their ability to "find" a job. I've talked with a number of teenagers and college students who are literally taken a back when I tell them that I *gasp* worked at Burger King as a teen. For many kids, the place has to be cool (example-Starbucks) before they'll take a job. They won't lower themselves to work at a fast food joint or Walmart.

No comments: