Thursday, June 02, 2005

A night of Tombstone, 80's, and vegemite sanniches

The Corner is discussing bad movies we love today, and Tombstone came up in the conversation. I'm going to have to take Warren Bell's side in the Bell-Goldberg (sounds like a disease) Tombstone debate. That movie is genius, at least from a guy's stand point. It has snappy, easy to remember lines that are cool, not corny (my sister in law and brother in law can nearly quote every line perfectly, right down to Virgil's "Ya git" as they leave town with Morgan). It sticks roughly to the historical record without being a slave to it, making the story Holiday, the Earps, and the shoot out at the O.K. Corral as entertaining as is possible in an hour and a half. This movie did such a good job of myth making that it sunk the technically superior Wyatt Earp by Kevin Costner, which it beat to the theaters. Costner's movie stuck to the historical record and is actually an excellent movie, but the genius of Tombstone relegated it to the ash heap of Kevin Costner flops.

Now that I've done my good Tombstone deed for the day, I'm going to see if I can't dig me up some vegemite and sit back to watch Hit Me Baby One More Time. I'm mostly curious to see what my childhood crush Tiffany looks like.

No comments: