Friday, August 06, 2004

Homegrown Terror Threat in Chicago

I worked in Chicago today. As I drove in, I told a co-worker that I was nervous for Chicago, because it did not seem to be getting the security that many of our other major cities were. Maybe I was wrong, maybe we were lucky, but this story about a homegrown terror threat to a Federal Building in Chicage gave me chills tonight. The building was never in jeopardy because officials were on this guy like flies on Uday, but it personalized these threats for me in a way that they never have been before. As I've mentioned before, I can never feel 9-11 like those lost loved ones, who worked in the WTC or the Pentagon, or those for whom those buildings are very familiar. Today I worked about 2/3 of a mile from the Dirkson Federal Building. I was about a block from it as I left town tonight, and I looked at it. Scary to think that someone wanted to kill hundreds or thousands inside of it.

No comments: