Sunday, August 15, 2004

More of the story that never should have been

The Washington Post, apparently looking for a way to work sex within its pages during an administration devoid of sexual scandal, has run a follow up on the un-story of Jessica Cutler, aka Washingtonienne. The story is fascinating in that nobody seems to understand that every action has a consequence. And the one person who does understand this seems to hold Cutler unaccountable for those consequences:
And that is why DeLuca figures that all the people who employed Jessica on the Hill deserved exactly what happened next. "If Capitol Hill is this shining example of anything, how did she get hired?" DeLuca asks. "That's why it's so silly, people getting mad at her for bringing shame on the senator's office or the Hill or the system. Look at the guy who hired her for an internship, then asked her out. Look at the woman who supervised her, then pimped her out. Something is wrong with the system. It's not her."
Ummm, yeah, not her fault. Never mind the fact that she literally whored herself out. If I whored myself out to multiple women in my business, and then wrote about it here, on a blog nobody reads, when I got fired I'd realize the part I played in my dismissal. The only ground I'll give on the stupidity of that quote is that it was made by one of Cutler's best friends, who of course is going to defend her.

This Cutler story is representative of the main negative by product of the 1960's counterculture. There is a pervasive strain of "if it feels good, do it" in society today, and with it comes an entitled sense of "it's not my fault or problem." Guess what? It is, in good part, your fault. I don't buy the story's tale of Cutler's gifted and talented course in secondary school creating a sense of her own moral universe. Ya know what? I was in one of those courses myself, and at no point did it create in me the sense that, hey, I can sleep with as many females as I choose and not have some significant mud attached to my name.

This story is still dragging along because it titillates people. Frankly, it is a sad story as well. Under the umbrella of equality of the sexes and a woman's right to do what she chooses with her body, we have a heroine who has no respect for the value of her own sexuality and very little sense of direction to her life. She and the media may play this story up as a story of a feminist warrior but in reality, it is rather tragic tail of a woman with a pretty messed up life.




1 comment:

Mediaskeptic said...

Believe it or not, I missed that story. I don't think it is so much a sex story, though. To me, it's more like an anti-blog story. It pretty much says what the WashPo thinks of blogs and bloggers, which is why their new contest for best blog is kind of suspect.

It also says much about what the WashPo and the elite culture thinks of the rest of us. She's a slut and is rewarded for it with an agent, a book deal and fleeting fame. Armstrong is a victim of a moral lynching. We're all just Jerry Springer contestants standing in line for a Sex in the City casting queue. It's who we are. (Six months from now she could, like Fawn Hall, be scoring in a drug house but don't count on the WashPo to follow up.) Such is the convenience of a news cycle that is designed to deliver only bad news telegrams.