Monday, October 18, 2004

Bekka Valley

I've been supportive of the idea that Iraq may have transferred weapons materials to Syria prior to the war. While there is not definitive evidence of this, there was ample circumstantial evidence point in this direction. The news of recent weeks has made that seem less and less likely, and I've been wondering when I should offer a mea culpa for any previous posts on the topic. Well, that won't be tonight, because I stumbled upon this little gem. Duelfer essentially gives an 'I cannot confirm nor deny' answer:
Duelfer, an adviser to the CIA, said at the Oct. 6 hearing that a large amount of material had been transferred by Iraq to Syria before the March 2003 war.

"A lot of materials left Iraq and went to Syria," Duelfer said. "There was certainly a lot of traffic across the border points. We've got a lot of data to support that, including people discussing it. But whether in fact in any of these trucks there was WMD-related materials, I cannot say."


While I will not actively push the weapons to Syria angle, I still do hold out the possibility of it. It would seem more likely that Iraq transferred the means to produce weapons to Syria than actual weapons, but I don't rule it out yet.


No comments: