Tuesday, October 19, 2004

O'Reilly

Lest I be accused of ignoring the Bill O'Reilly sexual harassment-extortion suit and countersuit, I will do so one time until this story progresses more. I've never been more than luke warm on O'Reilly, and I don't personally feel like defending him at this early stage.

I have one simple statement on the issue. If the accusations of sexual harassment prove true, FOX should can him. If he is exonerated, the producer should also held accountable, as should anyone who helped her with this. If it ends up being somewhere in between, we can discuss it more then.

1 comment:

Mediaskeptic said...

I am not a fan of O'Reilly's. He's become much too ego inflated for my tastes and his cavalier dismissal of the Swift Boat Veterans was further evidence that he's intellectually lazy. The more he extends himself - writing, his t.v. show, his radio program - the more he is depending upon others to do his homework.

I think ABC counted on this when they offered him the radio gig, because otherwise, they are Left of Lenin.

As for the sexual harassment charges, I suspect he did engage in phone sex (haven't we all? -- just kidding!). It reminds me of the Kenny Rogers incident a few years ago that hurt his reputation. He, too, did not pay up and the woman went public. It is legalized extortion using sexual harassment laws to extract money but it is a game women play. (I can say that. I am a woman.)

Frankly, I think it's probably the only courageous think O'Reilly has done, standing up and fighting the attempt to extort money. Doesn't make him a pervert but a very human person. You men are so easy! (laugh)