Thursday, March 31, 2005

Ice Rocket

There is a new (at least new to me) search engine out there call Ice Rocket. I hadn't heard of it until Sandi from Vista on Current Events mentioned it in the comments section earlier this week. I meant to try it out right away, but work intervened. Well, this afternoon I received an email from Blake Rhodes at Ice Rocket, letting me know that this site is represented in Ice Rocket's blog search. It was a personal email, not a form email, so I made it a priority to check it. At first blush, I like it, particularly the blog search function. I haven't had time to dig real deep into it, so all I'm going to do right now is pass the word and let all of you come to your own conclusions.

As an aside, on Sunday I commented on the fact that Yahoo seemed to do a better job finding this site than Google. Then I received a small flurry of Google searches, and I joked that the Google servers must be self aware and out to prove me wrong. I'm not jocular about that statement anymore. I'm pretty much positive the Google machines have become self aware. This week has seen a healthy increase in the number of people coming here via Google.

1 comment:

RPM said...

People will search (and find) you through google only if the google index is fresh for your blog.

A good sign of whether google is frequently indexing you or not is by going to the NavBar at the top and searching 'This Blog' and seeing if your recent posts show up in the results or not.

Mine don't, and I suppose it is because my typical daily pageloads are in the 20's and not many outside links to my blog. But I am sure you have many more of both of those parameters and google may have just done a refresh of its index.

Whatever be the case, you are lucky to have some google results coming through to your site. Keep it going!

On a little more shameless note, please try to send one or more emails for me as a favor, to save my favorite TV show - American Dreams. It comes on NBC (last night was the season finale, could have been the series finale) and it is one of the very few 'family' watchable shows. It is based in the 60's America and is absolutely fabulous - acting, writing, the music, storylines (Vietnam, hippies, etc.) everything.

I have detailed information on this post on my blog. I know it was supposed to have been sent by now, but better late than never.

Please also pass this message along to anyone you know who could take 10 seconds of their time to send the email.

Thanks in advance!