Saturday, March 26, 2005

Three good Schiavo pieces

With the debate of the past week over Terri Schiavo, I've open to the possibility that I've been unfair. So I've read more and more on the topic from a variety of sources. I've not really changed my mind on my position. But I don't want to force my opinion on you, my much appreciated readers. Instead, I offer you three links that I think are pretty good. The three pieces appeared in the New York Times, the Boston Globe, and USA Today. I will leave it with this: Unlike National Review's John Derbyshire, Michael Schiavo is never welcome to my house for a beer. Especially after I read the end of the New York Times piece.

We've reached the point where not much else can be done for Terri. This story will quickly fade into the background. I dare say it won't even produce much in the way of precedence for future cases. It won't lead to a schism of the Republican party. If anything, it will subtly affect the sides of the continuing pro-life v. pro-ending life debate, a debate which is not really right vs. left except in the case of abortion. If you want to make a diference going forward, you have to work to make sure that your state's end of life laws are just and that they side with life when there is legal doubt.

May God bless Terri and her family. May he also be with Michael and his.

No comments: