Monday, March 21, 2005

Tammy Baldwin, feminist

You would think that if there ever were a case that feminists would be worked up over, it would be the Terri Schiavo case. After all, here we have a disabled woman whose cheating husband is trying to put her to death, despite evidence that she is far from being brain dead. They aren’t worked up over it, though. Why? Fear that there may be repercussions for abortion if they stand in the way of medically killing anyone? Sacrificing the one in order to sacrifice the many? Who knows. I guess we’ll have to ask one of them ourselves.

So Tammy Baldwin. Why aren’t you in Terri Schiavo’s corner? (Scroll down to the nays).


UPDATE
Kevin at Lakeshore Laments has filled me in on Baldwin's answer to the question:

“I believe that Terri Schiavo's wishes should be respected. And I believe the Florida courts have done a thorough job of determining what those wishes are. Congress has no business inserting itself in the middle of this family tragedy.

Now every American family has cause to fear that their most private decisions might be reviewed or reversed by Congress. Terri and her entire family are in my thoughts and prayers.”
Though I'm choosing not to go into the "why" in this particular post, I can actually see the reasons why this might be a consistent position for Baldwin. That still doesn't mean that I think it is right.

<>

No comments: