Sunday, March 20, 2005

The Straight Dope Message Board-grab the pulse of your local Liberal

A few years ago, before I became aware of blogs, I used to cruise about a few message boards to get my fix on political issues. One of my favorites was the Straight Dope Message Board. In fact, it was the SDMB that helped me realize that my beliefs were not at all in line with that of the Democratic party. Sadly the SDMB went to paid subscriptions. Since I did not really feel like paying to get tag teamed by liberals, who have a 5 or 10 to 1 advantage over conservatives at that site, I gave up on it. As a conservative blogger, I do enjoy going back and viewing the "Great Debates" board from time to time, though. When I get into a rut, that board always does a great job of firing me up and giving me new sources of inspiration.

The slogan of of the Straight Dope, which is a column in the Chicago Reader by Cecil Adams, is "Fighting Ignorance Since 1973." Unfortunately for Cecil, the SDMB "Great Debates" board does more to propagatee further ignorance than it does to fight. While not nearly as far out there as places like the Democratic Undergound, I'm sure the two share something of a common audience.

No comments: