Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Lovers leaving their initials

In his Tuesday Quick Hits, Kevin at Lakeshore Laments points out a story from the OpinionJournal Political Diary. It seems Ronald Reagan and Nancy Davis left their initials in a slab of concrete at a home that they shared 50 years ago. The real estate consultant who found it donated it to the Reagan Presidential library.

That story brought back a memory for me. In my hometown there is a large park. Deep in that park is an old bridge that locals call the Rumbly Bidge. It has been closed to traffic for as long as I can remember, but for years young couples have been carving their initials into the paint on the railings. There are thousands of initials on this bridge. When I was in college, I had what I thought was a great idea: To photograph these initials, track down down the people who carved them, and convey their stories in a book. Alas, I never followed through (lack of time, funds, etc.), but my and Mrs. Jib's initials are on that bridge. I even proposed to her in front of them.

Now, if I can just defy the odds and became President...

No comments: