Monday, November 08, 2004

A Word or Two on the Re-Election

It's been a hell of a week. I went to bed on Tuesday feeling a little sick. While I made the point here to temper the exit polls, I was personally bothered by them. Then I had to go to bed shortly after the early returns started coming in. As I sat in bed, I continued to watch the returns until I realized I wasn't falling asleep until I turned the TV off. Even then, I was still finding it very difficult to sleep. I had slept for 4 hours when the lovely Mrs. Jib called me to make sure I got up and made my 6 am flight. Her first words? "He's one electoral vote short." That made my heart leap into my throat because in my tired stupor, I thought it meant Kerry had won. By the time I got to the airport, I was feeling much, much better. CBS radio was already saying Kerry should concede. While I was somewhere over Colorado, he did.

There was so much I wanted to comment on over the past week, but events simply conspired against. I felt smug for no getting outwardly bent out of shape by the exit polls while a lot of blogs did. My prediction of 4 point victory was close to the actual margin. In the airport a anti-Bush British woman caution Kerry supporters against socialized medicine, telling them how this "free" health care gets paid for, and how her husband would have died if he had had to wait for his kidney transplant in Britain instead of here. Bush had some great quotes in the past week("political capital" and "reach across the aisle") that I wanted to expand on. On top of that, we were still basking in the glow of all the traffic that came along with Hugh Hewitt's generous link to this blog.

The business trip to Las Vegas was very successful, though, so I really shouldn't complain. It was my first trip to Vegas, and I was really not very impressed with the city. Give me a Cleveland and a Minneapolis, and you can keep Vegas.

This blog will remain political in the coming years, although the raw material won't be as plentiful to mine as it has been, so expect more humor, satire, and general commentary. And perhaps one of these days I'll finally develop the patience to actually proof these posts before they get. Thanks to everyone who has visited Jiblog over the past 4 1/2 months, and I hope we can continue to inform and entertain you.

No comments: